H.E. Sheikh Nahayan Bin Mubarak Al Nahayan, the UAE Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development, today flagged off competitors on the Super Special Spectator Stage at Yas Marina Circuit to officially launch the 25th anniversary edition of Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, POWERED BY Nissan.
H.E. Sheikh Nahayan Bin Mubarak Al Nahayan, the UAE Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development flags off German biker Ott-Eulberg Michael at the start of the Super Special Spectator Stage with ATCUAE President, Mohammed Ben Sulayem.
The 53 riders, including last year’s Desert Challenge winner Paulo Goncalves of Portugal and Spain’s reigning world champion Marc Coma, were first to tackle the 2.4km test in exhibition style on the Grand Prix circuit.
Immediately afterwards the 48 cars and buggies lined up for the anniversary event and went into action against the clock with Argentina’s Lucio Alvarez setting the fastest time. The top ten drivers were then allowed to select their starting position for tomorrow’s 262km Yas Marina Circuit Special Stage 1, the first of five demanding desert tests.
Super Special Stage, cars results:
1. Lucio Alvarez / Gabriel Moiset ( ARG / SPA ) Mini All 4 Racing T1.2 1:52.0
2. Khalid Al Qassimi / JoseMarques ( UAE / POR ) Toyota Hilux Overdrive T1.1 1:52.4
3. Nasser Al-Attiyah / Mathieu Baumel (QAT / FRA ) Mini All4 Racing T1.2 1:52.9
4. Erik Van Loon / Wouter Rosegaar (NED / NED ) Mini All4 Racing T1.2 1:53.0
5. Yazeed Al-Rajhi / Timo Gotschalk ( KSA / DEU ) Toyota Hilux Overdrive T1.1 1:54.5
6. Orlando Terranova / Bernardo Graue (ARG / ARG ) Mini All4 Racing T1.2 1:55.3
7. Marek Dabrowski / Jacek Czachor ( POL / POL ) Toyota Hilux Overdrive T1.1 1:55.5
8. Harry Hunt / Andreas Schulz ( GBR / DEU) Mini All4 Racing T1.2 1:55.7
9. Nazareno Lopez / Sergio Lafuente ( ARG / URU ) Toyota Hilux T1.1 1:55.8
10. Adam Malysz / Rafal Marton ( POL / POL ) Mini All4 Racing T1.1 1:56.5